WHY IS A CAKE SMASH SESSION IMPORTANT?
Cake Smash Sessions
Cake smash photoshoots are usually done to commemorate a baby’s first birthday. Babies only turn ONE once, Your baby is turning ONE!
How fast did that happen? It’s amazing all the changes that take place in one short year. Walking (or almost), little teeth, spunky personalities, it’s a wonderful opportunity to celebrate this milestone. And what better way than with a photoshoot all about your baby and having their cake to smash.
So, what goes into a Cake Smash and what’s it all about?
Cake Smash sessions are best done in our studio in College Station, Tx. The studio provides everything for your cake smash photoshoot including the cake, decorations and planning.
This type of milestone photoshoot, includes your baby, a cake and no rules. These photo sessions create memories for both the parents and their children to look back on. This playful session can produce so many different outcomes, which truly creates a one-of-a-kind experience and photos you’ll cherish for years to come.
Babies are highly unpredictable. Sometimes they dive right in and sometimes they don’t want anything to do with the cake in front of them. No matter which way it goes, it’s really fun and we get some great shots to give you plenty of portraits of your baby and keepsake options.
Each session starts with some planning. Either with a color scheme or a theme, sometimes both. Sometimes we continue the colors and theme from the newborn session. This cake smash session was done in the same theme as their newborn photoshoot using the same color scheme.
We start with pre-cake portraits in a little outfit either provided by the parents before diving into the cake.
Here are some helpful tips for preparing for your cake smash session to be a success.
- Make sure baby is well rested and has a full-ish tummy.
- Bring a change of clothes.
- Bring their favorite small snack along with you (puffs, etc.). Sometimes they will not go for the cake at all, but if they see their favorite snack stuck onto the frosting on the back side of the cake, they usually will go right for it.
- If you really want your baby to dig in and eat their cake, a little prep might be needed if they haven’t had sugar prior to their smash. A few days prior, allow them to try small tastes of frosting or allow them to squish it into their hands so it’s not so new to them when they’re in front of the camera.
- If baby is teething, Orajel or Ibuprofen will be helpful.
How long does a cake smash photography session take? Cake smash sessions are roughly 30-45 minutes. If your baby is enjoying their cake, it can be longer.
When’s the best time to schedule my baby’s cake smash photography session? We recommend scheduling your cake smash photoshoot during your baby’s 11th month, ideally before he/she is walking. If you’re planning a first birthday party, the session should be 3-4 weeks prior to their party in order to have your images available for their invitations or prints ready to display at their party.
When will I receive my photos? We know that it is important for you to get your photos as close to your baby’s first birthday as possible. My turnaround time is 3 weeks.
Michelle Voigt Photography wants to serve as your baby’s first birthday photographer in Texas. Contact us today so we can talk through your vision of your little ones first birthday photoshoot and turn it into a beautiful memory.